|Healthier Carbonara with Chicken - 317 Calories per serve|
Serves: 12 (312 Calories per 325g serve - approximately 97 Calories per 100g)
Total calories per recipe: 3750
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
1 teaspoon minced garlic - 15 calories
1 cup chicken stock - 8 calories (Use stock to keep vegetables or meat from sticking as you stir-fry)
600g Broccoli (2 small heads) - 110 calories
420g Red and Green capsicums (approx 3 medium) - 90 calories
560g Carrots - 180 calories
120g Diced Onion (1cup) - 40 calories
500g Chicken breast fillets (no Skin) - 750 calories
80g Bacon (trimmed of all fat and rind & diced) - 160 calories
500g Vetta High Fibre Low GI Pasta - 1830 calories
560g Jar Dolmio Carbonara pasta sauce - 592 calories
- Wash and finely chop capsicum, carrots and onions (or use frozen onion) placing carrots in one bowl and capsicum & onion in another.
- Cut stalks off broccoli heads and chop finely and add to carrots. Cut heads into bite size florettes and place in another bowl.
- Cut chicken breasts into small bite size pieces and set aside.
- Bring to the boil approximately 4 litres of water in large saucepan for cooking pasta. Add pasta and cook until entente.Drain pasta and set aside.
- While cooking pasta heat a large wok or non-stick fry-pan, add garlic stirring for 30 seconds then add carrots and broccoli stems. Stir-fry until almost cooked through and set aside.
- Use stock a little at a time to keep vegetables or meat from sticking as you cook each ingredient.
- Next add bacon pieces and onion and cook well. Set aside.
- Add chicken to pan and cook through. Make sure you don’t overcook and dry out the chicken. Set aside with bacon and add the pasta sauce and stir through.
- Add broccoli tops and capsicum to pan adding a little stock and cook with lid on. This will make the broccoli bright and green!
- Place all ingredients back into the wok/pan and stir through. Cook for about 5 minutes or until you are sure the meat is cooked.
- Serve on its own in a bowl or with a side salad.
- Freeze left overs for ready made low-calorie hunger buster meals.